So this polish rye. I have just checked through my notebook, and it would seem I didn't make any notes whilst making this bread, and since I never seem to have enough time on the weekend I make the bread to write about it, and I made this one back in August, I can't remember a great deal! Hopeless!
I've just turned the page in the book and have found I made my notes on the recipe page! Doh!
This bread uses 380g of rye sourdough starter, which is a lot more than most breads use (generally about 150-200g starter for a couple of loaves), and Mr Leader does mention in his preamble to the recipe that he has included a 'build' step to increase the amount of rye sourdough, but unless I'm even more stupid than I've already made out above, I can't for the life of me find it in his recipe! That notwithstanding, my notes indicate that I fed my fridge starter (about 60g) by adding 200g water and 200g fine rye flour to start this loaf off (at 3pm Saturday afternoon). Enough for the recipe and some to put back in the fridge for next time.
|Rye starter ready to roll!|
Sunday morning, I then used my nice bubbly rye starter (he is always SO very happy after being fed, bubbly, smelling wonderful, eager for business!) to make the bread:
380g starter after overnight feeding (put the remainder back in the fridge)
325g tepid water
500g bread flour
Given the intro to this loaf said it was the darkest, most rustic of Polish rye breads, I was exceedingly surprised the dough did not contain any rye flour! But follow the recipe I did.
I kneaded the dough using my Kitchen Aid on speed #4 for about 12mins. I did stop and scrape down the hook a couple of times as it was a pretty sticky dough. I also kept a careful eye on the machine as had just had my floor repaired from when it bounced off and broke a couple of my floor boards! The KA was just fine, nothing broken, but the wooden floor clearly couldn't handle the beast falling on to it!
At 8.30am the dough was put in an oiled bowl and left to ferment at RT but in order to make my bread work around my day, I put the dough in the fridge at 10.30am so I could go out for a few hours. At 3.00pm I removed it from the fridge, and let warm up at RT for another couple of hours.
This is a very soft dough, light, springy and delicate - maybe because of the amount of rye starter used?
I preshaped into one big round let rest for 15mins, then did my final shaping and placed it into my banetton, put the banetton inside a plastic bag and left at RT to proof. And there my notes stop! So I have no idea how long I let it proof for!? I would imagine it was 1.5-2hrs, or until it had increased in size by at least 1.5times. My rye starter has plenty of oompff, so sometimes it takes a little less time than this. but if the dough was still relatively cool after its ferment in the fridge, it might have taken a little longer.
I have a clay tile in my oven, and my oven is very special needs and slow to heat up, so an hour before I'm ready to bake I turned the oven to 230°C to heat up. This allows enough time for the stone to fully heat up.
I covered my bakers peel with a sheet of baking paper, placed this over the banetton and gently inverted the banetton to tip out the dough. I slashed the loaf 5 times in a rough start pattern, and then slid it into the oven, along with a handful of ice cubes and baked for 50 mins until nice and golden brown (with a turn around at half time).
This was nice bread, nothing startling, but nice. I still think I prefer the Zitny chelba for flavour, despite the large amount of rye starter in this. Maybe I would try swapping out some of the bread flour for rye in the dough to see how much that alters the taste. Would definitely make again and will send to YeastSpotting!
Happiness is making bread!!